"Mel is such a lovely, caring, non-judgemental person - just the type you need to have around you when pregnant and with a newborn when you're vulnerable and emotional" (J)
Have you just had a baby? Would you like some extra help and support? Or are you pregnant and already know you would like support when your baby arrives?
All families are different and have different needs so the support I provide is truly bespoke and changes with each family. But these are some of the ways I have provided support to local families:
- A chance to talk through your birth and how these early days have been so far - this can be a great opportunity to "de-brief" honestly whilst not feeling judged in any way
- Reassurance, encouragement and a hot cup of tea!
- Entertaining older brothers and sisters whilst you and your new baby get to know each other
- Looking after your baby to give you some precious time to shower, relax for a while in a deep bath, catch up on sleep (because it's not always easy to "sleep while the baby sleeps", despite everyone's favourite piece of advice!), or spend time with older siblings or partner whilst I look after the baby
- Encouraging and supporting with feeding and providing information on local breastfeeding groups and helplines
- Washing and sterilising bottles
- Light housekeeping - hoovering, tidying up, laundry, dusting, washing-up - whilst you snuggle with your baby or go back to bed
- Preparing light snacks and drinks (for all the family!)
- Practical guidance on caring for a newborn - calming techniques, bathing, nappy changing etc
- Information on local support groups
- Support and reassurance for your partner - they are going through a life changing experience too!
- Accompanying you and your baby to appointments
- Running errands
(These last two are particularly useful if you've had a Caesarean Birth)
You may choose to hire me when your baby is a couple of days old, or a couple of weeks. I have also worked with families with older babies including 1 year old twins so please don't let the age of your baby stop you from getting in touch with me.
My main Postnatal Support Package is £250 for 20 hours of reliable, practical and emotional support in your own home usually over a 4-6 week period with visits lasting 2 hours or more.
I also do a Welcome Baby Package for £120 which includes 3 postnatal visits of 3 hours each, in the first week or fortnight after your baby is born, to help you relax into life as a new family.
Each package can be tailored specifically for first time parents (or parents wanting a refresher) by adding on a private BabyNatal class before your baby arrives (for half the usual price!) - the perfect combination of preparation and support. (This discount only applies if booked and paid for at time of booking one of the packages with me).
Extra hours can usually be arranged on top of the packages if support is still required.
Alternatively you may prefer the flexibility of a "Pay as you Go" arrangement! In that case, I charge £15 per hour (this would be for a minimum 3 hour visit).
I live just outside Narberth in Pembrokeshire and can cover the whole of the county and over the borders into Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. Mileage is free if you live within 10 miles of Narberth. For distances on top of that, and purely due to the cost of petrol, I'm afraid I have to charge 40p for each extra mile.
I am always happy to accept payment in instalments and for a very special gift, "Doula Vouchers" can be bought from Doula UK - support from a postnatal doula makes a wonderful gift from family members to pregnant or new parents.
Ideally we would meet before your baby is born but if you have already had your baby and would like support please contact me and I will do my best to help.
I can be contacted on 07798 716417, through my Facebook page, or by email for more information or to arrange a free 30 minute meeting (with no obligation to book me, of course). I look forward to hearing from you!
"Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers - strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength." ~ Barbara Katz Rothman